Thursday, August 15, 2013

It's the Climb (How I got motivated)

I've had a couple people message me on Facebook and ask me how I got motivated to start losing weight. This makes me chuckle because I literally have to motivate myself every. dang. day. I wish it just came naturally and I was one of the those people who just loved being healthy. But y'all I'm not!! I love fast food and being lazy. I also love to sleep!! Turn my redneck box fan on and I'll be out like a fat kid playing dodge ball.

So I guess the answer to that question is this. I know how it feels to be over weight. I have struggled with it my entire life. I remember sitting in the car rider drop off line in 6th grade with my Dad before school. Every morning he held my hand and prayed with me before I got out of the car. I never prayed this out loud but I remember asking God to please not let anyone make fun of me. Y'all I prayed that every morning! When I got to high school I was voted friendliest for senior superlatives and was on homecoming court, but do you know that no one ever once asked me to prom or homecoming. Of course I still went with all my friends or asked a friend to take me but deep down I wished someone, anyone would ask me to be their date. In college my freshman year I was at the pool with my roommates and these boys started making fun of me. I wrapped up in my towel, walked back to our apartment, shut the door, and cried like a baby. Y'all I know how it feels!!

I didn't tell you all that to make you feel sorry for me. I told you that because anyone who says your weight doesn't matter is NOT being truthful or they've never been there. Some days it takes everything I have in me to keep going. BUT I know that I CAN do it and how happy the end result will make me! I take it one day at the time. I don't think about anything but the day ahead of me. When I survive that day it makes me want to push forward and tackle another day. When I make it through a week I get this happy high that makes me want to challenge myself even more.

I know Miley's gone a little cray, cray here lately but the first time I heard "The Climb" I got teary eyed. I know, I know it's a Miley Cyrus song for crying out loud but the words ring so true...
I can almost see it
That dream I'm dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying you'll never reach it

Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking

But I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high

Always gonna be a uphill battle 
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
It ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the CLIMB

I have tears streaming down my face right now because I know how it feels to be lost with no direction. After gaining back 70 pounds and having to start all over there most definitely was a voice inside my head saying you'll never reach it. But guys I CAN and WILL do this...
It's all about THE CLIMB!! 
Summer 2011-Lake Oconee 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog!! Thanks for inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so, so much enjoyed ready your blog and the Miley song...it is so true...you should here me singing this song in my car...Love you girlfriend..

    ReplyDelete