Monday, September 9, 2013

Girl you've gotten too big for ya britches


Do you ever feel like, "I'm kickin butt and lookin good?" Not in a look at me, look at me kinda way. Okay that's a lie, in a totally look at me, look at me kinda way. Then you get around other people and that confidence completely disappears. You start looking and comparing yourself to others and within a matter of minutes you feel like all of your hard work was pointless. All the trips to the gym didn't matter and you start doubting yourself. I do this ALL the TIME!!

Friday night I was laying my clothes out for the game and was excited to put on my new game day outfit. Saturday morning when I got dressed I thought I was looking pretty cute. THEN we got to Statesboro for the game. I felt like I had the fattest face and biggest ham arms of anyone out there. Even when getting to see old friends all I was thinking about was how huge I was. I thought, "Yeah you've lost 25 pounds but girlfriend you're still a 200 pounder and weigh what most men out here do." The old Kelly came back. The quiet and more reserved Kelly. Now don't get me wrong, I had a fun time but I can't deny that these things were running through my mind. How silly!!
Emily, Me, Rachel, Karley-
Can you believe I used to teach
these hams and now they are in their
junior year of college?!
Lily Blake's (LBR) very first game.
Ummm...I love blueberries!!
Hi fellas...looking handsome!!
I have this theory that the way you feel about yourself manifests itself in the way you think, feel and treat others...
I'm about to be the vainest and most cold hearted you've ever seen me be but bare with me. At the tailgate there was a point when one of our newer extremely pretty friends came to visit. She's a sweet, sweet girl and is absolutely gorgeous. I was nice, smiled and we talked but in my mind I was thinking, "Will you please go away?!" Y'all I was so jealous of her that I wanted her to go away!! And I'll admit it, this surely isn't the first time in my life I've thought this about someone.

Sunday I was sitting in church thinking about my outfit, my hair and how I needed to go pick up some new makeup. And within a couple minutes of the song service God had a "Girl you've gotten too big for your britches" talk with me. I felt tears filling my eyes. I told God I was so sorry for the hateful things in my mind and to please, please open the eyes of my heart. As I looked around I saw people who had things going on in their lives that my pettiness couldn't even compare to.

My challenge to myself this week has nothing to do with weight loss or looking pretty. My challenge is to pray for humbleness and read my Bible each day. It's amazing how a little alone time with God will completely change the way you treat and think about others. I think this even applies to the way we treat our spouse. That’s why I also want to start praying with Chris at night. I know Chris prays, and I know that I pray, but the most precious and powerful form of communication with our mate occurs when we pray together.

Y’all do I want to be thin, look good and eat right? Of course, but more than anything else I want to be so busy loving others that their is no room for hatred in my heart.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in
humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own
interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 
Philipians 2:3-4
If you're looking for a good
devotional I really like this one.
A Gentle Spirit
Complied by:Ashleigh Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment