Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Our Love Story (Part 6-The Finale)

First read...
Part 1 (Click HERE)
Part 2 (Click HERE)
Part 3 (Click HERE)
Part 4 (Click HERE)
Part 5 (Click HERE)

By the time our wedding day finally arrived I was excited but relieved all at the same time. Planning a wedding and being over four hours away from my mom was hard. I had no clue what I was doing and, dear Lord, weddings are expensive!

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I remember one incidence where Chris and I almost called it quits over a ribbon fight. Yep, you heard that right, ribbon! I wanted x yards of ribbon and he didn't see why it was necessary. In my mind, I had to have that ribbon or the whole wedding was going to be wrong. From ribbon, to every and anything is where that fight ended up. I never would have believed it until it happened to me, but weddings can make you crazy!

The day my Daddy said he would officiate our ceremony made me take a step back. I was reminded of how, after all these years, my mom and dad still loved one another. Not because they did it on their own, but because their marriage was held together by someone who knew their every thought. Growing up, and even now, God has always been the biggest part of who I am. Deep down I knew that all of the different "ribbon" wasn't what mattered. So, when Chris and I decided to do a traditional wedding it just felt right. 
Daddy praying with me
before the wedding. 
We were married in my hometown at a church only a couple of blocks from my parents home. It was just the right size for an intimate wedding and had the perfect amount of southern charm. Our reception was inside at an old renovated building in the downtown area of Waycross near the train depot. The floors were all wooden and the walls were brick. The tables had a black underlay, white and black flower overlay, and the chairs were covered in white with a black satin bow. We had a DJ, dinner buffet and one million ferns. Even though it wasn't the biggest, or the fanciest, it turned out to be beautiful and classy. 
All of my besties were my bridesmaids
The day passed by so quickly I barely had time to think, or even comprehend, how big of a commitment Chris and I had just made. It didn't really hit me until we drove away from the reception. I felt happy but scared all at the same time. I had just married the best thing that ever happened to me and would be starting a brand new life with him. 
Georgia Southern groom's cake!
See white girls can dance...well kinda!
It seems like the years have rolled by so quickly. As of yesterday, Chris and I have officially been a couple for 8 years. I remember that first kiss riding dirt roads, our first apartment together and our first year of marriage. Looking back we can both laugh at some of the silly fights we had and smile at the times we held each other. On May 29 we will have been married for 4 years. With all my heart, I can truly say I look forward to growing old with my best friend. 
We went on a seven day cruise for our
honeymoon. I wish I could travel back
in time and relive that week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment