Thursday, December 5, 2013

SKINNY Shepherd's Pie Recipe

To me shepherd's pie is one of those recipes you either love or hate. I LOVE it because I'm a mashed potatoes kinda girl all the way. I do, however, like my pie with peas and carrots, unlike my man child. Anytime I make a casserole like this I always make enough to have leftovers the next night. I'm just lazy like that, BUT you can cut this recipe in half and make a smaller amount. 
You might be a redneck if...
you use deer in your shepherd's
pie and as wall decor. 


SKINNY Sheppard’s Pie

Ingredients:
-2 pounds ground turkey or lean ground beef
-1/2 yellow onion minced
-2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
-6 large russet potatoes
-3/4 cup fat free milk
-1/2 cup zero calorie spray butter
-Salt and pepper to taste
-8 slices 2% American cheese or 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
-1 can mixed peas and carrots (I leave them out just to be a sweet wife)

Instructions:
1. Peel and boil potatoes until fork tender.  Drain and mash using mixer or potato masher. Add milk, zero calorie spray butter, salt and pepper to taste. Mash until desired consistency.

2. Brown ground turkey or lean ground beef with onion and worcestershire sauce. Drain. 

3. Layer ground beef, mashed potatoes, peas/carrots and cheese in casserole dish. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. 
It's not the prettiest but dang it's good!!
This is so simple, feeds a hungry family and will run you around 275 calories a serving...Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment