Thursday, November 28, 2013

Our Love Story (Part 5)

First Read...
Part 1 (Click HERE)
Part 2 (Click HERE)
Part 3 (Click HERE)
Part 4 (Click HERE)

During the summer I found a little house in downtown Greensboro, GA to rent. The house was tiny, the roof leaked and it wasn't in the best neighborhood. I knew absolutely no one in the entire town but all that mattered was being near Chris. 
Sorry I could only find a pic of the
house from when it snowed that winter. 

Shortly after moving, Chris and I drove down to Fernandina Beach, FL to meet my family for our annual vacation. The second night we were there Chris took me to one of my favorite restaurants called Barbara Jeans. Afterwards we went to the marina to walk around and look at all the sailboats. We were holding hands, looking at the boats and walking down the boardwalk when Chris bent down on one knee. At first I wasn't sure what he was doing, but then my heart started to pound. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a beautiful ring. He then asked me to marry him. I was ecstatic and, of course, I said yes. 
Around 270 pounds the
night we got engaged
After getting back from vacation it wasn't long and the new school year started. I was driving an hour one way to get to work and, I won't lie, the drive got old, BUT getting to see my "fiancĂ©" everyday was worth every minute of it. Each day, when Chris got off work, he would come over to eat dinner with me and we would walk at a park behind the police station. It wasn't long and I started to feel better, much better!

One good decision led to another and I decided to join Weight Watchers. Somehow I also talked Chris into joining so I would have a buddy. I honestly didn't think it, or anything for that matter, would work but I decided what the heck. I just wanted to try and get 20 pounds off before the wedding in May, so I gave it a shot.

Every Tuesday Chris and I would go weigh in together, then go get $1 tacos at a local Mexican restaurant at Lake Oconee. It became something we looked forward to each week. I also started cooking simple meals from a hungry girl cook book my mom bought me, packed my lunch every day, Chris and I continued to walk and within two months I lost over 20 pounds. I was shocked that it was working and I was actually losing weight. I never had a true weight loss goal up until that point. I just took it one day at a time, but as I started seeing more results something inside my head just clicked. I was determined to be a pretty bride!

For the first time in a very long time I had faith in myself. I pushed myself hard for 10 months. I started doing things I had never done before, like 5k's and group fitness classes. I was starting to love myself again. I went from walking at the park each day to challenging
myself to run a lap, walk a lap. I had occasional slip ups but for the most part I stuck to my points at meal time. I went to every weekly weigh in and continued going to the park each afternoon. I loved challenging myself a little more each day.

I didn't realize it until later, but during that year Chris and I became very close. Waking together each afternoon we would talk about our day, life and what our dreams were. We were so young but we were both learning to lean on each other. Chris became more than just my fiancĂ©, he became my best friend. Now don't get me wrong, we had our share of knock down drag out fights but our love for one another just grew from it.

By the time May of 2010 came around, the count down was on for our wedding on the 29th. By this time I had lost around 100 pounds and was ready to say "I do" to the love of my life who had loved me big, small and everything in-between. 
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment