Monday, November 11, 2013

GSU Homecoming & Our Love Story (Part 1)

This past weekend was Georgia Southern Homecoming. As soon as I got off work Friday I dropped by the house to change, threw my bags in the FJ and was off to good ole Statesboro, GA. The hubs was already in the Boro for a work conference, so I was ready to see him and I couldn't wait to see my besties either. On the drive, I couldn't help but reminisce about my college days, the fun times, the times I called home crying and best of all the time I fell in love with my now best friend.... 
When I was in college, I worked for the rec dept. for three years in an elementary after-school program. The way the program worked was the kids would come to the cafeteria when school was over. They would sit at a lunchroom table with their age group and the after school staff passed out snack, helped them with their homework etc. After that we
would break off by age groups to do different activities and would rotate about every 30 minutes. It was the perfect job because I worked Monday-Friday 1:30-6:00ish. I made so many friends working there and learned A LOT about lesson planning and working with children.

I had been working there for about half a year when this new guy started working at my school. He was tall, broad shouldered, had curls that came out from under his hat and was the president of his fraternity. His first or second day on the job our program director introduced us. The new guy asked me my major, where I was from etc. After that I caught myself looking his way quiet a bit, but never really said anything to him because I had a boyfriend at the time.

The weeks went by and each day he picked on me by saying, "Do you take like cooking and cleaning classes at GSU home ec girl?" At first, I thought he was cocky and didn't give him the time of day but then I developed this little crush on the "jerk at work". Yes, I was still in another relationship, but long story short, my relationship with the other guy ended. He broke up with me and I was heart broken. I cried myself to sleep for about a week. The only thing I looked forward to was going to work. Wonder why?!?!

One day when the "jerk at work" was picking on me about my cooking and cleaning skills I offered to make him dinner. Later I thought, "How stupid are you, he doesn't like you or want for you to make him dinner...you can't even cook (surprisingly at the time I truly couldn't)!!" BUT believe it or not he stopped by my apartment one night after his fraternity meeting to pick up his promised dinner. I acted like it was just leftovers but, dear Lord, I had slaved over that meal all night. I had no clue how to cook and this was way before the days of Pinterest or me attending culinary school.

When he knocked on the door my heart started racing. He walked in wearing a long sleeved royal blue delta chi shirt, khaki shorts and rainbow flip flops. I was all like, "Yeah here's your food, hope you like it." I wanted him to stay sooo badly but didn't have the courage to ask him. He said thank you, we chatted for a minute and then he was gone.  I danced around the apartment like a crazy person and I could hardly wait to get to work the next day.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment