Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Skinny Chicken Enchiladas

People ask me all the time, "So like, since you teach Culinary and all, do you like cook all the time and stuff?" Apparently, only redneck valley girls ask me. So ask yourself that question out loud with a valley inflection, but put a southern draw on it ya'll...too funny! 
Anyway, sadly the answer to that is, no! By the time I talk about food all day, do demonstrations for the kids and grocery shop several times a week, the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook! Now don't get me wrong, sometimes I do go all out. Especially if we have friends over, but during the week I am usually looking for the easiest, quickest meal possible. Cause boo boo Mama June ain't got time for anything harder than ketchup and butter sketti!!
Skinny Chicken Enchiladas 
Ingredients:
-1 pound lean ground chicken
-1 mild taco seasoning packet
-1/3 cup water 
-1 regular size can mild enchilada sauce
(Go easy with it…even the mild has a kick!! If you’re not a spicy person I would cut this amount in half.)
-7 to 10 taco size tortillas (low cal or wheat preferably)
-1 bag 2% mozzarella cheese (2 tablespoons per enchilada)

Instructions:
Brown ground turkey until cooked thoroughly. Add taco seasoning packet and a 1/3 cup water. Stir and simmer for a couple minutes.

Pour ½ can enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish to prevent sticking. Stuff and roll tortillas with ¼ cup (or more if desired) ground chicken mixture. Place seam side down in casserole dish and continue until pan is filled.

Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly around edges…Disfrutar Amigos!!

Calories per serving/1 enchilada-265 calories…yes please!!
1 Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Tortilla=120 cal
2 tbsp. mozzarella=35 cal
¼ cup enchilada sauce=around 25 cal
¼ cup ground chicken with taco seasoning=85 cal
To please my man child I got regular flour tortillas. They were 150 calories vs. 130 for the Mission Carb Balance brand...whatev! 

These are the easiest enchiladas, but they are so good and cheap to make. And ya'll I like cheap! Cause when I come out of the grocery store carrying all $100 worth of groceries on  one arm...it makes me nuttier than a port-a-potty at a peanut festival!!  

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try these! I'm thinking of doing a blog post of healthier recipes soon. Would you mind terribly if I use this one and link back to you?
    www.heavycupcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these this week and we ate for two nights! They were even better as left-overs too! Double WIN!!

    ReplyDelete