Thursday, January 9, 2014

Gel Nails @ Home

I have to give my hubbie props. This year he nailed my Christmas gift. He got me an at home gel nail kit. I LOVE it!!! I’m not sure if he thought it was a great gift, or he realized that it would save him a butt ton of money. Either way, gel nails are indeed my favorite because they stay on for so long. As much as I wash my hands at work normal nail polish comes off within a day, so it seems pointless to even get a regular manicure.

Here’s the thing…
Even though gel nails are my FAVORITE they are pretty pricy and, truth be told, this is what runs through my mind every time I go get my nails done…

“So you’re telling me that I have to pay for a manicure and then pay for gel nails on top of that?? Really!?!? That’s $40 and then I have to leave a tip too. I could buy a pair of new shoes that I actually get to keep for that much. I really want it done though, so I guess you win and I’ll pay it, but it’s going to come off in a week!! That "14 days" stuff you’re telling me is BS. The only way for that to happen is if I skip washing my hands after I pee!!”

Maybe I over think things a little too much, but hey, you know it’s true!! I’m sorry, I wasn’t like this before I married a finance major, so I’ll stop ranting now and show you my MONEY SAVING, HUSBAND PLEASING, NO DRYING gel nail kit…
This kit is by Sally Hansen and will run you about $55-$60. It comes with gel nail soak off, file/cuticle stick, alcohol wipes, base coat (step 1), gel color (step 2), top coat (step 3) and the UV light that has a 30 second timer.
The inside cover shows you step by step what to do. I was skeptical at first, but 30 seconds for each step is really all it takes. When you finish with steps 1-3 you wipe your nails with the alcohol towels and you're done!! No wet nails or waiting for them to dry. 
I found the exact kit Chris got me for Christmas on Amazon. Even he said that out of all the different brands he looked at this one had the best reviews. Who knew a 6'4" bearded man could be such a gel nail expert...oh the things we do for love!! 
You can go to Sally's, Ulta or Wal Mart for different gel colors and top/base coats. In Sally's it runs $10.99 a bottle and in Wal Mart it runs about 9 something a bottle. 
I took my kit with me on our New Year's trip and the girls really liked it. I think I convinced them that they need one too!! 
This was my first time using the kit on Christmas Eve. It came with a neutral color called "Shell We Dance". I will probably wear this color most of the time just because polish isn't really allowed in a Culinary Kitchen. P.S. My hands are a little crusty and big...don't judge me!! I would look weird with tiny hands and a 5'9" body. I may work on the crustiness though.  
This is what my nails look like today. I did them on January 30th, so it has been about a week and a half. So far they are still holding up. Next week we will be in the Culinary Lab at school, so we will see how long they hold up when I start washing my hands over 10 times in one day.  
Hopefully I've convinced you...
so get you a gel nail kit gurlllll!!!

Tips/Advice/Suggestions: 
-Buy a UV light that is big enough to put at least 4 fingers under at a time. Otherwise it's going to take you forever!!
-Buy a bottle of alcohol and use cotton balls to wipe your nails at the end instead of having to get wipes.
-To soak your gel nails off I saw a lady at the nail salon in Atlanta do this...
*dampen a piece of a cotton ball, the size of your nail, with acetone 
*place it on the polish you want to remove
*wrap a small piece of tin foil around your finger and twist at your finger tip to keep the acetone cotton in place 
*leave on for about 10 minutes and the polish should come right off when scrubbed 
-Watch out for how much gel polish you put on. It doesn't take as much as regular nail polish. I had it running everywhere my first time. 
-Your nails will have a greasy film on them at the end. That's normal and the reason you wipe them with alcohol. I did NOT know that before hand and thought I had done something wrong. 
-Glitter gel polish is almost double the price of the regular gel colors. Haven't tried it yet but really want some. 
-Some OPI colors are just as cheap as the Sally's and Wal Mart brands on Amazon. 
This may possibly save your marriage if you're as addicted to gel nails as I am...just sayin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment