Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: FAV Breakfast, 4 Kinda Skinny Meals and 1 Naughty Dessert

Do you ever feel like when you have "stuff" to do, all the "stuff" comes all at one time? I do, I do! That could be why it's been a hot minute since I updated the ole blog. I've missed ya'll!! 

So, let's start by updating ya'll on what I've been eating. First, just let me tell you that eating "normal" food has been working so much better for me!! Instead of eating super low calorie food or barely eating at all, I've just been limiting my portion sizes. I don't feel deprived. Now don't get me wrong, I don't get to eat cake everyday and I try to keep away from really bad foods, but for the most part I just eat whatever is in front of me. 

I used to feel like I had to eat at certain restaurants or only eat at home. Otherwise, I would mess my entire diet up...Not now! I eat anywhere and I do one simple thing...control myself. Is it hard? YES!!!! BUT 100% worth it. 

During the week though, I eat at home, pack my lunch and stay away from indulging. I eat 3 meals a day and a snack. Am I hungry? Sometimes, but it truly is getting easier. Here's the latest and greatest from my kitchen...

BREAKFAST-
My FAVORITE!!! Low Fat Waffles and Chocolate PB2...I eat this for a snack, breakfast and sometimes even lunch. Guess how many calories? 140 for two waffles and 40 calories for two tablespoons chocolate PB2...Sooooooooo GOOD and only 180 calories!!!

DINNER-
1. Penne Pasta, Mushrooms and Turkey Spaghetti 
2. Chicken Tacos 
3. Sloppy Joes and Tater Tots 
4. Chicken Pesto Tortellini 
5. Strawberry shortcake with whip cream icing 
Left-Hubbies Bowl, Right-My Bowl (1 cup no bread)
Yes, I'm still eating "normal" but only having VERY small portions 
Recipe for Penne Pasta, Mushrooms and Turkey Spaghetti
Ingredients:
-1/2 box wheat penne pasta 
-1 jar Ragu original pasta sauce
-1 TBSP minced garlic 
-Salt/pepper to taste 
-1/2 TBSP Italian seasoning  
-1 pound ground turkey 
-1 large can drained mushrooms
-Garlic toast (optional)

Instructions: 
Cook pasta and drain. Brown ground turkey, drain and add to skillet along with mushrooms, pasta sauce, minced garlic and Italian seasoning. Simmer and serve with garlic toast. Dinner is ready in 15 minutes!! 1 cup pasta mixture=280 calories (around about)
Chicken Tacos 
Ingredients:
-1 pound ground chicken 
-1 pack taco seasoning
-Hard tacos shells (for hubbie) and Baked Scoops (for me)
-Fat free sour cream 
-Salsa 
-Cherry tomatoes and shredded lettuce 
-Mexican shredded cheese 

Instructions: 
Brown ground chicken, add taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water. Simmer. Cook taco shells on 350 for 5 to 7 minutes. Dinner ready in 10 minutes!! 

*I made a HUGE taco salad with 1 serving crumbled baked scoops, 1 cup lettuce, 5 or 6 tomatoes, 1/2 cup taco meat, 2 tbsp sour cream, 2 tbsp salsa and a sprinkle of cheese. It was SOOOO good!! Guess how many calories?? Right at 300!! 
Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes and Tater Tots 
Ingredients:
-1 pound ground turkey 
-1 can Manwich (1/4 cup=60 calories of AWESOMENESS!!)
-Fat free or 2% cheese slices 
-Wheat bun (I was sweet and got white buns for the man child BUT Sarah Lee 45 cal bread would have been a better option...whatev!)
-Tater tots (10 pieces=170 calories)

Instructions: 
Brown ground turkey, drain and add 1 can Manwich. Bake tater tots on 425 for 25 minutes on cookie sheet. (1/4 cup meat mixture, 1 slice cheese, SARAH LEE 45 cal bread and 12 tater tots=425 calories)

*I'm sorry but I LOVE this meal!! It's not the lowest in calories but it's better than fried tater tots or ground beef, or worse FAST FOOD! 

Chicken Pesto Tortellini 
Ingredients:
-1 pack mixed cheese tortellini (20 oz.)
-1 container pesto with basil 
-2 packs Tyson diced chicken breast (Yes, I AM lazy...Sue me!!)

Instructions:
-Boil tortellini, drain and fold in entire container of pesto. Cut top off of chicken and heat in microwave. Add to pasta mixture. Enjoy the BEST and EASIEST meal around...not kidding!!! (1 cup tortellini=330 calories, 1/4 cup chicken=40 calories, 1 TBSP pesto=65 calories for a grand total of...435 calories!! Not bad for a cheese stuffed pasta. Look at Olive Garden's menu and you will think this meal is NOTHING!!)


Posted this pic on Instagram the day I had to throw away my beloved cake to gain back my self control. It was a bad relationship...I had eaten 4 pieces in a weekend!!! 
EASY Strawberry Shortcake with Whip Cream Icing 

Cake Ingredients:
-1 box Pillsbury yellow cake mix 
*Follow box instructions for 2 round cake pans. 

Icing Ingredients: 
-1 cup powdered sugar 
-1 tablespoon water 
-1 pack SOFTENED cream cheese
-1 regular size frozen cool whip 

Icing Instructions:
Add softened cream cream cheese to mixer bowl. Using the whisk attachment, mix the cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and water. FOLD in the entire container of THAWED cool whip with a rubber scrapper. Chill for several hours. 

Topping Ingredients: 
-1 container frozen strawberries in sugar (thawed)

Put the cake together...
Ice cake with a thick layer of icing. Serve with strawberry topping. Chill cake when not serving. 

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this cake!! I think my favorite part is the ICING though. It's flipping AMAZING!!! 

This cake is great for about anything and pretty much everybody LOVES it, even if they leave the strawberries off. WARNING...eat only one piece, ENJOY FULLY and then give the rest away! 




No comments:

Post a Comment